Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's been a LONG time...

Holy crow, I didn't realize how much time had passed since I last blogged. It's been about a month now which is crazy.

The biggest to do in my life this last month is that I started a belly dance class that took place on Wednesday evenings. It is Tribal Fusion belly dance which is amazing. I've been trying to find a Tribal Fusion class for the last year and couldn't find any unless they were located in the county north of where I live which isn't a horrible drive unless it's rush hour which is when I would be driving to make it to the classes up north. And then, out of nowhere, news of a class in my county literally came out of the blue. Furthermore, it's taught by a girl that I went to high school with.

The class has been amazing and I've had a blast. It ended last week. I wish it would have gone longer because it was so much fun. Last weekend on Saturday, a city near where I live hosted the Middle Eastern Dance Fest which was filled with different dancing groups in the county that I live in that are taught by members of a massive belly dancing troupe. It was awesome! And, my group killed it! We were an extremely small group, only 4 people, and so there was no way to fudge moves and not be seen. I had so much fun and my sister recorded it. The only sad thing was that her camera shut off 3 minutes into the dance right before we sped up and it really took off.

When we were on stage and the music started and we started moving our hips to the beep, all I could think about was, "holy crap! I'm shaking my hips at the audience!" That was the first 30 seconds or so of the song and then I don't remember anything accept I kept thinking, "I'm dancing. On a stage. On stage in front of people, I dance." And I felt a lot like Bob in the movie "What About Bob" when he was sailing on a boat for the first time, only he wasn't really sailing, he was strapped to the mast. Only, I was "dancing". The moves we did were extremely basic. We kept it extremely simple, but I had so much fun.

If you had asked me one year ago if I would ever consider performing ANYTHING, let alone dancing, in front of a large audience I would have started blushing simply at the suggestion of it. But, I did it and I want to do it again. I tried this class just to see if it was something I would even like to begin with; I always thought I would like belly dancing, but liking the idea of something and then actually liking "doing" something are two completely different things. I'm addicted to belly dance. It doesn't matter what song is playing and what genre that song fits in to, I am constantly imagining in my mind how I can belly dance to it. I can't wait to take another class.

Below, I have embeded the song that we danced to. Only the version we danced to was about 4.5 minutes, not the 6 minutes in the video below. It's a beautiful song and it's Niyaz. It's called "Minara". Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment