Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Prepare for Liftoff

It's been a long while since I last posted. There isn't a good way to try to explain all that has happened since I last posted in 2015, so for now this is a quick summary of what has changed in my life since then:

-I am married. I married the love of my life in December, 2015.
-I graduated from University with a Bachelors degree in English, Secondary Education
-I taught for 1 year after graduation in the cutest rural town in the middle of Utah and the 8th grade students I taught were the greatest ever. They are graduating this year, which is crazy to think about
-My husband and I moved to California and were jobless for 11 months, which was scary, but we got through it
-We moved from rural California to just outside the capital, Sacramento, and there are a lot of people here who drive all the time and I hate traffic
-We have great jobs here and live in a cute little 1-bedroom apartment. The cost of rent in California is exorbitant enough to gag a maggot and I actively try not to think about how much we pay for rent, but it's our home and we love it
-I worked for an incredibly abusive and inconsiderate jerk in the field of adoption law. I quick after I couldn't take his verbal and emotional abuse anymore and told him on my way out that he was the worst human being I've ever worked for and I hope he treats future employees better. So, that goes to say that I've learned to speak up for myself to employers whom I've always saw in a superior light to myself
-10 days after I unexpectedly quit my job, I landed the greatest job ever in a field I want to be my career (billing towards accounting/bookkeeping)
-3 months after I started working at this incredible job, Covid-19 hit the United States and it's changed everything
-2 months after Covid-19 hit the United States, it was spreading at such an alarming speed that the Governor of California issued a "Shelter-in-Place" order which basically means self-quarantining in the attempt to slow the spread of the virus. It was shortly after this that I was laid-off from my incredible job
-It's been 2 weeks to the day since I've been at home quarantining. The idea is to not go out unless you are doing necessary grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, or getting out into the sun -- all of which you are to stay 6 feet away from the next person
-For the first time in my life, I've applied for unemployment. Thankfully, it is only temporary, as my employers expect to bring everyone back on when things go back to normal (though no one can say for sure when that will be)
-To keep myself busy, I re-arrange furniture and bake a lot. I'm cleaning all the time and on one hand I love this slower pace of life, but it's scary to be without the income that we need to get by. Millions of people across the globe are in this very same situation


I think that summarizes everything life, in general.


In regards to my adoption story:

-The child of my heart will be 10 years old this year. It is incredible that I'm so far down this journey so far. I remember when it was fresh and I couldn't comprehend getting to this place in time. And, here I am on the other side
-I talk on the phone with this child more frequently, which is lovely
-He wants to see me and my husband, which is beautiful and scary at the same time because what if I'm not what he thinks I am. That, and I know he has so many questions about why he was placed for adoption because he asks about it all the time on the phone. I tell him how much he's loved and how hard the decision was and that I'm going to answer all of his questions when we get together in July (which is the plan, depending on how Covid-19 goes)
-He likes cats and asks about my cat a lot and tells me about how he sticks up for the cats in his neighborhood from other boys who treat them unfairly -He is passionate about what's fair and I can tell he's already figuring out his moral code and he has incredible parents who are helping him and guiding him and that is everything that I wanted for him


Regarding this blog, I really don't know what is going to come from it. I've tried starting other blogs but can never get past the first post. This blog has so much of my history that I can't give up on it, but I've also adapted beyond obsessing about my adoption journey. I don't mean that in a negative way because for a while that was my whole life and I needed to obsess and feel every aspect of it to get to where I am today.

So, this blog is going to be about what goes on in my life, adoption thoughts included. If you feel like following along, that's awesome. If not, that's cool too. So, here we go. Prepare for liftoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment