Saturday, February 27, 2010

Another Silent and Holy Night

Another Silent and Holy Night
by Other Mother


Silent Night,
Holy Night.
My baby's cry sang in the dead of night.
My arms reached to hold him tight.
He calmed down when I wrapped him right,
I held him in my arms all night.

All was calm and all was bright-
The child of my heart is perfection
and smells like Maple and Cinnamon.
"Sleep now, my baby boy," I lullabied.
Mother and child-
Infant so tender and mild.

I kissed "my" baby from his head
To his toes.
I even kissed his perfect nose.
I Memorized his face- the closest I've ever come to Grace.
My angel furrowed his brow and yawned.
I held him in my arms one last time.


Silent night,
Holy night.
Love's pure light.
I wonder,
The people who raise you,
Will they know how to hold you?-


"I'm sorry I can't be what it is you need,"
I whisper in my baby's ear-
Like a silent prayer said
Over and over-
"I'm sorry,
 "I love you baby boy."

"I'm sorry I can't be what it is you need.
I love you."
Radiance beamed from my baby's face-
the face that is my saving Grace-
And a delicate memory I retrace.
The social worker came in and my world caved in.

I kissed his head,
My heart heavy as led.
I kissed his head wet with my tears-
Just one more time.
"I love you baby of mine."
I cried.  My baby boy sneezed twice.


Swirling snow, it's time to go
I couldn't let him go-
"I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you.
I'm sorry. Please forgive me,"
My last words...


whispered fervently,
Wheeled out into the cold of night-
My heart pleading a silent plight that
My baby will always know
How much he means to me-
That's why I gave him someone better.

Someone to love him and comfort him.
To be the soothing voice in his darkest night,
Letting him know he'll be alright.


"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,"
My sorrow, Holy.  
My redemption, lonely.
"Jack Frost nipping"...
nipping cruelly. 
The coldest night of my life.

2 comments: