Friday, March 26, 2010

Progress

For the last couple years of my life I've played around with the idea of moving to Louisiana. I know what you're thinking, "WHAT? Why Louisiana?! Don't you know that Louisiana is the armpit of America?" If I had a dollar for every time I heard the above reaction to my musings of changing location... well, I'm pretty sure my car would be paid off at this point. Be that as it may, that's the only reason I haven't moved thus far... my car I mean. I knew that, wherever I move to, I want to be able to move there with no debt. So, for the last two years of my life I have been researching different states to see where I would want to move. The list has included Virginia, New York, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Georgia, Washington state, California, Colorado, and last but certainly not least, Louisiana. My desire to move to Virginia, New York, and Pennsylvania, was fleeting as best. I spent a year in New York as a nanny after I graduated from high school and, well... I hate New York. That one year in New York has built up a general aversion to any major East Coast state. I extensively researched Washington state because I love the Northwest, but what I found is that the cost of living up there is disgusting! End of story. California... same aversion as East coast states... it's just too messy out there. Oklahoma, well that might be attributed to my unhealthy liking of old-school musicals... I'm still on the fence post about that one, to be honest. I am in love with the idea of Savannah, Georgia. As I've researched Savannah, it would seem to me that it's somewhat similar to the college town I live in right now. There are a lot of jobs down in that area that cater to student employees. The town seems relatively young... and there is something so DARN appealing about the southern hospitality I've heard so much about in regards to Georgia. So, I'm still on the fence post about Georgia. Now, for Louisiana. I have a lot of friends from Louisiana and they are all wonderful people... well, one of them I'm still deciding on. Anyway, I was talking with Southern Boy (friend from Louisiana) about my desire to move down there. Southern Boy and I have been friends for 6 years now and I love him to death. When I told him that I was thinking of moving down there he said, "Heck yeah! Girl, I can hook you up with so many people down there!" Southern Boy lives here in Utah. He is pursuing school out here. He said he'll get me in contact with his family and friends down there. Now, I've met Southern Boy's mama once while she was in Utah visiting him and she is hysterical. She reminds me of Paula Dean on Food Network Television. The first time I met his mom, Southern Boy and I were bantering back and forth with one another about something extremely foolish I'm sure. She looked at me and said, "Honey. You ain't never gonna get married if you don't let your man have the last word in an argument." I started laughing so hard that tears were coming out of my eyes and Southern Boy said, "Mama. It's funny to hear you say that seeming as daddy never gets the final say." To which I began laughing harder and Southern Mama's response was, "(Hearty laugh) I know Southern Boy, I know! But, when we was courtin', your daddy and I, I always let him have the last word so that he would marry me." And that, my dear readers, is why I love Louisiana. I know what you are thinking. You are probably very confused and feeling lost in my reasoning- it happens to me too- take a deep breath, it helps, I promise. There is something so beautiful in the reactions between the people of the south. I've witnessed it time and again. There are no formalities, just honest interractions. I feel like I'm drowning in formalities right now and I've always felt that way. I've always been one to be completely honest in my dialogue with people and, oftentimes, my honesty causes discomfort... but, I don't know how to be any other way. When I am with my Louisiana friends, the honesty is heard, accepted, and discussed. It's easier to breathe around my southern friends because they are so laid back and chill... and the affect on me, of their chillaxed demeanor is calming and liberating. Anyway, so for now, I'm mostly leaning towards Louisiana and can possibly make the move as early as this August. I've been looking in to LSU as well and they have a lot of really great programs and research opportunites. It's amazing. I'm so excited. Every time I think about Louisiana, I get more excited. That's what's going on with me right now.

1 comment:

  1. In our travels, we have noticed that certain parts of the country (even certain cities) have very diverse personalities...some much more charming than others!

    I don't know much about Louisiana or Georgia. I have never been to Louisiana and we have only driven through Georgia (they have a lot of pecans).

    Keep doing what you are doing - talking to people is the best way to learn more! Have a great weekend,

    Katie

    PS. We were like you...we didn't like New York.

    ReplyDelete